Draw Control Officer
-People. Process. Performance. You’ll keep sight of it all.
We’re the world’s leading diamond company, powered by thousands of people around the world, with a mission to support local communities protect our natural environment and shape a brighter future.
As a Draw Control Officer fulfilling the role of the Junior Geotechnical Engineer, you will be responsible for the day-to-day monitoring and reviewing of geotechnical and operational cave performance. You will ensure that the established and designed geotechnical caving rules are implemented within design limits.
Our dedication to quality and high performance extends to our workforce, so we seek talented, ambitious people who will thrive in an environment which fosters individuality, inclusivity and creativity. If you like the idea of challenging and stimulating work in a diverse team, we'd like to hear from you.
-Your role will include but not limited to:
- Enforce the implementation of the established geotechnical standards for sublevel cave (SLC) performance criteria and monitoring systems.
- Implement geotechnical standards and monitoring systems (e.g. strata control standards, and caving TARPs).
- Attend daily production meetings and give input into prevailing rockmass risks and caving hazards leading indicators.
- Conduct routine geotechnical assessments of rockmass and ground support at retreating drawpoints (e.g., Brow stability and positions reconciliation; Mud rush/push potential; drawpoint-hang-ups; Lead-lag compliance; fragmentation analysis, etc.).
- Identify geotechnical hazards; risks and/or opportunities.
- Attend and / or give input into monthly Pre-Planning and Planning meetings.
- Collect instrumentation, monitoring data, and replacement of instruments.
- Assist with routine monthly ground support measuring for Payment Certificate.
- Grade 12 / Std 10 / N3 /relevant National NQF4 level qualification
- Undergraduate or Graduate Degree in Engineering Geology, Mining Engineering or similarly aligned qualification
- Chamber of Mines Strata Control Certificate for underground (or part thereof)
- Certificate of competency – Underground Competent A or Miner’s certificate (advantageous)
- Professional registration SANIRE; SAIMM (advantageous)
- Minimum of 3 years in Geotechnical / caving experience of which at least 2 in a Junior Geotechnical Engineer / Officer capacity in an operational caving mine
- Establishment or development phase of a Sub-level cave mine (advantageous)
- Knowledge of geotechnical computer software / ability to interpret the data thereof
- Understanding of mine planning, survey, geology and mining work streams and how they integrate with the geotechnical engineering function for a cave mine
- Knowledge of ground support techniques for development; retreating and rehabilitation of kimberlite cave mine
- Valid drivers’ license (EB)
- Medical Certificate of Fitness to work underground which would include Heat Tolerance Testing
- The post is dependent on the successful completion of the Company’s pre-employment protocol such as qualifications verification, relevant psychometric assessments and a clear security clearance
How to Apply
- To apply for this role, please complete our online application form. You will have the opportunity to upload your CV and other relevant documentation as part of this process.
- Preference will be given to Venetia employees who meet the criteria
- For all internal applicants , you are required to complete an internal application form and attach detailed CV. This form must be accompanied with a signature from your immediate Line Manager and Head of Department , failure to do so will render your application invalid.
-Who We Are:
Venetia Mine – South Africa
De Beers Group is a company with a rich history and a sparkling future.
Since 1888 our experts have searched the world for nature’s most precious gem. Our diamonds bring beauty to the world. But we think they can do so much more. We want our diamonds, and our business, to make life brilliant – for our people, our customers, and the world around us.
Venetia Mine is part of De Beers Group Managed Operations Business which integrates mines, operations and support functions in the De Beers Group producer countries of Canada and South Africa to shape a safe, sustainable future for De Beers Group’s people, shareholders, communities and partners.
Safety first is a way of life for us. We are unconditional about the safety, health and well-being of our colleagues, at work and at home, and about that of the communities where we work. We aim to lead the industry by investing in innovation to protect people, who are at the heart of our business. Our high performing teams take accountability for their own and others' actions, work collaboratively, and always show care and respect.
By applying for this job, you provide consent that your personal details, including your fingerprints, can be used to conduct background screening where appropriate. For more information, please visit:
Anglo American/ De Beers Group collects and processes personal data in accordance with the relevant regulations. For more information, please visit:
Inclusion and Diversity
Anglo American is an equal opportunities employer. We are committed to promoting an inclusive and diverse workplace where we value and respect every colleague for who they are and provide equality of opportunity so that everyone can fulfil their potential.
If you do not hear from the Company within 21 days after the application deadline, please consider your application to be unsuccessful.
CLOSING DATE: 03 August 2021