Job Title: Technical Writer
College/Office: Office of Information Technology
SUMMARY OF FUNCTIONS:
Responsible for creating and writing various types of user documentation, including how-to guides, references, manuals, and instructions in both languages, English and Arabic.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES & RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Explains scientific and technical ideas in simple language.
- Writes technical direction on product announcements, marketing brochures, advertisements, marketing specifications.
- Meets with customer representatives, vendors, plant executives, or publishers to establish technical specifications.
- Responsible for studying drawings, specifications, mockups, and product samples.
- Creates user documentation for a variety of material, including how-to guides and instruction manuals.
- Ensures technical verbiage is easy to understand by the layperson.
- Gathers information on their subjects in libraries and on the web.
- Prepares charts, graphs, or forms to go along with rough drafts.
- Ensures that fields flow in the correct sequence.
- Writes articles and reports on current trends in fields such as science and engineering.
- Writes clear and concise policies and procedures.
- Edits industrial publications.
- Creates tables of contents and cites sources.
- Submits copies to managers for feedback.
- Responsible for adjusting the copy as necessary and proofreading for grammar and spelling.
- Follows a life cycle called the document development life cycle.
- Responsible for releasing the document following its final approval.
- Conducts online tutorials.
- Provides updates and different editions as necessary.
- Reviews manufacturer's trade catalogs.
- Manages and updates the IT support web page
- Any other duties as assigned by management
QUALIFICATIONS & EXPERIENCE:
- Bachelor’s degree in computer science/Information system or equivalent with at least 2 years of experience that is directly related to the duties and responsibilities specified.
- Fluent in both languages, English and Arabic
KNOWLEDGE & SKILLS:
- Understanding of technical writing concepts.
- Ability to create content in the form of reusable modules.
- Proficient in the use of Microsoft Office (Word, Excel, Outlook).
- Familiarity with text editing, page layout, and graphic design software (Frame Maker, Photoshop, Illustrator).
- Proficiency in interviewing techniques.
- Communication skills and ability to simplify.
- Ability to see the big picture.
- Thoroughness and eye for detail.
- Good organizational skills.
- Priority management.
- Ability to handle stress (tight deadlines and multitasking).